The Work Programme
Vital Regeneration delivers The Work Programme on behalf of Jobcentre Plus, we are called a Work Programme ‘provider’.
We will give you all the support you need to find and stay in work, even if you change benefits or you get a job.
The Work Programme may involve you taking part in activities to help you find work like work experience, volunteering, undertaking job related training or being referred for further support.
Your involvement in the Work Programme will last up to two years. Over this time we will provide you with your own personal advisor and the support you get from us will be tailored to your individual needs and circumstances.
If the Work Programme is something you have to do, Jobcentre Plus will write and ask you to attend an interview.
You may have to take part if you’re getting either:
- Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If you’re getting JSA, you may have to take part in the Work Programme after:
- nine months - if you’re aged 18 to 24
- 12 months - if you’re 25 or over
- (or you may join the Work Programme earlier, if both you and your Jobcentre Plus adviser agree).
If you’re getting ESA and are in the work-related activity group you may have to take part in the Work Programme. There are some exceptions to this, like if you’re a:
- full-time carer
- lone parent with a child under five
If you don’t have to take part, you can volunteer to join the Work Programme. To volunteer, you must be getting:
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Pension Credit
- (If you live in England you can also volunteer if you’re getting Incapacity Benefit or Income Support)
Not everyone who volunteers to join the Work Programme will be able to. Depending on your circumstances, Jobcentre Plus may offer you different help instead.
To find out more, speak to a Jobcentre Plus adviser.